Pre-registration is required! Please fill out the form below if you plan to attend an upcoming session.
Testing Dates for 2021: January 2, February 6, March 6, April 3, May 1, June 5, July 10, August 7, September 4, October 2, November 6, December 4.
Testing Dates for 2022: January 1, February 5, March 5, April 2, May 7, June 4, July 2, August 6, September 3, October 1, November 5, December 3.
COVID-19: A mask is required and we encourage ear plugs to reduce distractions by talking. We may have a staggared schedule, with group A and group B or we may have you wait in your car and we will call you when a seat becomes available. Ralph will inform you before the exam day, or when you check-in.
We are limiting the number of exams per weekend so sign-up in advance! RSVP is required!
FCC NEW REQUIREMENT:
We now require applicants to have their FRN number instead of their social security no. Instructions are below and in your confirmation e-mail!
Also, the FCC now requires an e-mail address on the registration.
ARRL VE exam sessions are provided the first Saturday monthly at 8:00 AM at the EARS Club Station, with the exception of the July 2020 test date, which will be the second Saturday, avoid interference with July 4 club activities on the first Saturday. If you plan to take two exams be sure the VEs know so they arrange for enough time.
EARS Club Station, Edmond Community Center
28 East Main Street, in the heart of downtown Edmond.
$15.00 test fee, payable at time of test. Applicants should make their check or money order out to ARRL/VEC. If you bring cash please bring the exact amount, we do not have on-hand cash to break bills. (Fees are subject to change as they are mandated by the FCC, not us).
What you need to bring:
1. We strongly advise you to bring ear plugs to reduce distractions as people come and go, pass their exam, etc.
2. Bring a simple calculator and pencil.
3. Adults should bring a photo ID so we can verify the person taking the exam. Young adults or children should bring a school ID or a parent with a photo ID.
4. You must have a FCC FRN (free). We no longer accept Social Security Numbers. The free FRN is used in place of a SSN when taking exams and is used for any upgrades and changes. If you already have a license then you have an FRN. To create an FRN or to check if you have one, use this
FRN numbers are granted immediately!
If you have ever owned a Family Radio Service (FRS) radio then you ALREADY HAVE AN FRN and callsign! Go to the FCC ULS and search for your information. https://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/
Bring your FRN to the exam session!
5. You must have an e-mail address. Here are the two most popular free services (I suspect a parent could use their own account instead of creating one for the child):
Google Gmail: https://www.google.com/gmail/about/
Outlook Live: https://outlook.live.com/owa/
6. If you passed an exam recently but it is not yet in the FCC ULS, bring your white form that is proof of passing a previous test. Otherwise, bring a copy of your existing FCC license to show to the VE.
Effective Sept 7, 2017 the application for a new license, upgrades, vanity calls and renewals must indicate if they have been convicted of a felony. The new form 605 is posted here:http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/2017NCVEC605.pdf
A YES will place the application in the “pending file for review” category. Applicants answering YES would have to, within 14 days, provide the FCC with a statement explaining the circumstances, and a statement “giving the reasons why the applicant believes that grant of the application would be in the public interest, notwithstanding the actual or alleged misconduct,” the revised Form 605 instructions state.
The entire article is available here: http://www.arrl.org/news/revised-fcc-form-605-will-ask-applicants-the-felony-question
1. Register (NOW) for an FRN number. https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
2. RSVP. If no one RSVP’s then the VE’s will not be there!
3. When you arrive, follow the signs to the EARS Classroom. Sign-in and advise the VE which test or tests you intend to take.
4. Present a photo ID and proof of an existing license, if any.
5. You will be given an exam and answer sheet and you may start. When you are finished, turn-in your answer sheet and exam and the exam fee. Standby in the hallway until we announce your name!
Tech+ Automatic Upgrade:
If you have an unexpired Tech+ license you can automatically upgrade to General after completing the paperwork at a VE session. You must however bring proof of your current Tech+ license (which may have been renewed at some point as a Tech licence). We do one of these every year or two – please be patient and let us know a few weeks in advance so we can review the rules!
E-mail VE Coordinator, Ralph E. Turner N5AMR
Or text/call: (573) 999-4748
For Form questions you can also e-mail or call Marcus,